Boldly You!
Monday, August 29, 2005
  The Trees or the Forest...

Which one are you focused on?

So, today was quite an experience.

I had the opportunity to live my life in reverse for a brief period. How long is brief in this case; approximately two hours.

Being a Toastmaster, today I was the Toastmaster, there is often a call for action. Not taking action stands out like a sore thumb, which can be a beautiful thing...;-)

Anyways, I ended up being late. If you are a Toastmaster then you will understand the signifigance of "being late."

In life learning is a constant...

Well, I had put off a few things over the course of the last several days, and those very things would come back to bite me in the rear, as the unexpected occurred.

The unexpected an extremely painful sinus headache. Add to that the nervousness of being Toastmaster and realizing my lack of planning, and you have me making several last minute trips to bathroom.

Time doesn't stop...

As I dealt with the unexpected and worked to gather myself, that is prepare, I noticed how with each glance the time just seemed to melt away.

It seemed like the minute hand was moving in 15 minute increments at a time instead of one at a time. No pressure, right, give me a break.

Responsibility, not a last minute obligation...

Moving on, my systems which I had been so effective at using each were sabotaged by my earlier decisions to "PUT-OFF."

Suddenly I found myself with hardly enough time to be effective. Moving with urgency, or was it panic, I quickly assembled my stuff bolted for the front door only to realize my keys were on my desk.

Tick, tick, tick...

I quickly grabbed my keys and bolted out the door.

The twist for today, I was responsible for picking up and driving a fellow club member to the meeting. So, not only did my "PUTTING-OFF" impact me, it was now directly impacting someone, else and the fact that being late was almost unavoidable, the whole club was now being impacted.

This is not who I want to be...

Surprisingly, with the pressure on, I don't become so frantic. I now have the ability to maintain a level of calmness. This definitely has taken some learning.

You see, what you do under pressure has everything to do with what you do when you aren't under pressure. I am constantly working on being the person I "WANT TO BE."

No more stories...I don't enjoy them...

Prior to bolting out of the front door, I set the printer on fire with several requests and sent out one urgent request to the club. Anyone available "PLEASE" print out the attached agenda.

Moving to the car I now found myself looking at a latter and a handful of tools, in the front seat. This "STINKS." Remember I driving someone to the meeting today and a latter and tools was not going to work.

Focus, the end result...

Despite everything, I still remained focused on getting to the meeting safetly and quickly.

Jumping into action I pulled the latter out and put it up. I then quickly moved the tools.

Ready to jump into the car I realized my keys, yet again, were missing. This time they were somewhere in the yard.

Moving quickly through the yard I spotted a sparkling object and yes, I found my keys.

Jumping into the car starting the engine only to look at the gas gage, which I typically keep at half-full or more, was now sitting close to empty. There wasn't enough time to fill-up without being later.

I took my chances...

I did finally pick-up my club member and arrive at the meeting. Yes, I was late.

How late, does it matter, late is late. I didn't give myself the opportunity to be a quality Toastmaster, and I didn't give the club my best because of my "PUTTING-OFF!"

For some, responsibility to others comes easily, maybe for some it comes to easily. For me, it takes effort, it is something I work at. I have things I do that support me in being effective and still it takes effort.

What did I learn...

I realized while experiencing all the little break downs that I have in fact changed many things in my life. It has been quite some time since I experienced such caos. That is a great thing to notice.

YES! I am making progress...

It is true that as you and I go through our day that we often can miss the wonderful things we do. Being busy and hurried tends to keep you or I focused on the tree, when in fact the forest has changed, for the better, because of our choices, and actions.

You impact others...


Do you realize how much?


Have an AMAZING day!

With love,

James Smith

405-521-8609

James at ALifeOfPossibility dot com

PS: In the past, these many events would have been something I shared as an excuse and I would have shared them as if they were a badge of honor.

Today they are simply a reminder that I made choices that did not support me or those I made a commitment to.

What about you? Does any of this hold true?
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Ever wonder if your really who you WANT TO BE or LIVING the LIFE YOU WANT? Don't you want to live a life that is BOLD and MEMORABLE? If you said yes, what are you WAITING FOR? Here you will find my daily inspirations and questions and bits and pieces of my life. Be a part if you dare! Number one rule: BE YOU and BE BOLD! Join me in having FUN, LOVING, CARING, LIVING, and BREATHING! Remember to BREATH, deep slow breaths, it is IMPORTANT!

Believing In YOU! A Daily Podcast

Why I blog...

Most recent post...

Thoughts on MEN:

MyDAD™ first thoughts...
The Hollow Man™

Thoughts on God:

Intuition...
Religion vs Pride...
Here's my props, to God!
Why God?
Is God a "Purpose" or an "Excuse?"
Without a bible is there a God?
I'm God not human...

ARCHIVES
July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / February 2006 / March 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / January 2007 / October 2007 / March 2008 / July 2008 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2012 /


Powered by Blogger


Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Parents Blog Top Sites
Blog Flux Directory
Listed in LS Blogs
Weblog Directory
Blog Directory - Wil's Domain

Find Blogs in the Blog Directory